Another video of the state of Victor:
This demonstrates some of the improvements I’ve made. Recent work since this
video has been primarily focused on building a voxel geometry demonstration
and implementing some performance improvements.
nanogui is a great little GUI framework that integrates nicely with OpenGL.
It’s quite extensible, which is great as I have made use of its core set of
user interface widgets to build more complex user interfaces.
I’ve supported a number of effects in Victor for a while, but this video fully
shows several of them including SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion), motion
blur, and a vignette effect.
The last post showed a PBR-specific video, while this video shows the PBR
functioning in an existing environment.
It’s worth noting that since this video there’s been further changes to the PBR
support in Victor. Some of these are still in-progress, particularly related
to physically-correct lighting.
Render targets are well-supported now, and are shown in the video by rendering
an entirely new scene and showing it embedded within a nanogui window.
I’m using these for a proof-of-concept editor that allows editing materials
with a live demonstration of any changes made. It’s still in progress and the
latest work to fix performance and add voxel support has broken it a bit, but
once things are working properly I’ll be able to upload a video of it in
The last video didn’t show this at all, but it’s shown in this video (though
it may be difficult to see!) – the bricks on the “ground” are all parallax
mapped to give an illusion of depth without requiring the extra geometry.
The parallax mapping can be seen more obviously in the render target view,
where the parallax effect stretches around the sphere.
What’s happening now?
My focus at the moment in Victor is primarily:
- a voxel demonstration with modifiable geometry
- performance improvements; visibility culling was a great start but
Victor really needs culling via something like an octree to really start
performing nicely on complex scenes (right now it still has to manipulate
every object in a scene to perform the visibility cull, whereas with an
octree a large number of objects could be skipped).
- fixes to PBR lighting and shadowing, which is currently a little broken
This might take a while (months), but I’m aiming to add more videos of some of
these features as they mature. The editor proof-of-concept is also something
that I’m pretty excited about, so once that’s cleaned up a bit and has some key
problems fixed I’ll be able to show that off too.